- Use Firebird SQL Server, if you have the luxury to choose among many database systems. (http://www.firebirdsql.org/)
- If you want to deal with the COMPLEXITY, try PostgreSQL Server. (http://www.postgresql.org/)
- MySQL is trying to become a “proper” database system on VERSION 5 (For God’s sake!). (http://www.mysql.com/)
- If you fancy a POSH database system, try Oracle. It has express version available for free; check the licence details. (http://www.oracle.com/)
- If you are walking on the road, bricks of which are laid by Microsoft, I need not say anything; you are already using M$ SQL Server 200x. (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/)
Jiří Činčura is an independent developer focusing on data and business layers, language constructs, parallelism and databases. Specifically Entity Framework, asynchronous and parallel programming, cloud and Azure. He's Microsoft Most Valuable Professional and you can read his articles, guides, tips and tricks at www.tabsoverspaces.com.